“To have such a resource to help meet family’s basic needs is an amazing relief for families who are already going through so much!”- Head Start Provider
How We Help
- We build community. At Baby Corner, people come together to care for each other. Working together, we are creating a healthier community for everyone.
- Families have their stress reduced. Tangible help from Baby Corner can prevent homelessness and another financial crisis. Families don’t have to choose between buying diapers or paying for rent, food, or medicine.
- We help children feel safe, secure, confident, and ready to learn
- The tangible goods from Baby Corner help ease ongoing, severe stress for a child.
- Getting essential care goods from Baby Corner can reduce neglect and abuse. It is hard to care for your child if you don’t have a dry diaper for a fussing baby or food for a hungry little one. We help by making sure family caregivers have what they need to take care of their children.
The Science of Tangible Assistance
- The work of Baby Corner is evidence-based, drawing on brain science and child development studies such as those done by Harvard University’s Center on the Developing Child, and the practice of the Strengthening Families framework.
- The concrete assistance provided in a time of need by Baby Corner reduces sources of stress for children and adult caregivers.
- Giving families tangible help relieves financial and emotional burdens, lessening persistent, toxic stress.
- Health, care, and safety goods from Baby Corner enhance the ability of parents to provide responsive caregiving and to ensure the well-being of their children.
What Changes for Kids & Families
Supported by Best Starts for Kids (BSK, King County), in 2019, Baby Corner surveyed partner agency providers to gain insight into how receiving assistance from Baby Corner affects families, and to determine if we help partner agency providers to improve their ability to work with families.
- 77.14% reported receiving goods helps to improve health outcomes for children and families
- 49.52% said adult caregivers report being able to spend more time with their children due to Baby Corner goods
- 90.47% say Baby Corner helps my families become equipped to handle their stressful situation better
- 95.23% report that families say goods from Baby Corner make their children happier
- 93.34% tell us that providing goods from Baby Corner helps in creating a stronger bond with my recipients
- 44.77% report it helps to reduce the number of missed visits by my recipients
- 80.96% say Baby Corner services has increased communication by recipients between scheduled visits
- 59.05% report positively influences my organization’s budget
Our Theory of Change - What Changes for Kids, Families, and the Community
Melanie Smith, www.melaniesmithstudios.com